Mulkey's unborn 1st grandchild dealing with birth defects
Womens College Headlines
- Stevens, Collier help No. 1 UConn beat Tulane 91-47
- Kansas women win 3rd Big 12 game, upset No. 25 Oklahoma St.
- No. 18 South Florida women beat Houston to clinch No. 2 seed
- No. 14 Ohio State women step closer to at least a title tie
- No. 23 Belmont women win 18th straight
- No. 15 Lady Vols seeking to end slide before postseason
- Oregon looks to hold off Stanford for regular-season title
- Alabama women trying to snap SEC's longest tourney drought
- Ionescu lifts No. 8 Oregon to 101-94 OT win over No. 10 UCLA
- Baylor clinches Big 12 title with 93-87 win over Texas
WACO, Texas (AP) Baylor coach Kim Mulkey is preparing to become a grandmother for the first time, exciting news for her that is tempered by word that the unborn child is dealing with two major birth defects.
Makenzie Fuller, in her third season on her mother's staff at Baylor after being a four-year letterwinner for the Lady Bears, is 18 weeks pregnant with a due date in April.
Mulkey wrote in a note she posted on Twitter that her family is "thrilled that God has brought" the child into their lives, while also saddened by the separate defects that are both life-threatening issues.
Fuller shared in a tweet introducing Scout Marie Fuller that the unborn baby girl's heart didn't develop properly, a condition known as Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome. She is also believed to have Turner syndrome, a chromosomal condition that alters development in females.
"She has already brought an unimaginable amount of love, strength, and faith into our lives," wrote Makenzie Fuller, who is married to former Baylor football player Clay Fuller. "At the same time, we are saddened to say that our daughter is struggling and fighting for her life every day."
Mulkey wrote in her post that her daughter and son-in-law have "unbelievable faith" and will be accepting of God's plan.
"This is our life and regardless of what the future holds, Scout will always be my first grandchild," Mulkey said in a tweet she introduced with, "I've been called a lot of things in my life, but Grandma is a first!"
Updated November 14, 2017