Ex-All-Star infielder Jose Lopez headed to Japan
- Harvey, Wheeler pitch Mets to DH sweep
- Youkilis out 10-12 weeks, Teixeira to DL
- Red Sox put 9-0 Buchholz on 15-day DL
- A's top Texas, Darvish winless in last 6
- Orioles hit Verlander hard, beat Tigers
TOKYO (AP) Former All-Star infielder Jose Lopez is headed to Japan.
He has signed with the Yomiuri Giants of the Central League, the country's most popular team and winner of the 2012 Japan Series. According to Nikkan Sports, he agreed to a one-year deal worth $911,000.
The 29-year-old Lopez has spent nine seasons in the majors and was an All-Star with Seattle in 2006. He also has played for the Chicago White Sox, Colorado, Florida and Cleveland. He has a career .262 average with 92 home runs and 480 RBIs.
Lopez played in 15 games last season for Chicago, spending most of the season in the International League. He was member of Venezuela's team at the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
Updated January 7, 2013