David Beckham's team named Inter Miami, still lacks stadium
European Football Headlines
- To take on Ronaldo, Atletico could unleash attacking trio
- Claudio Pizarro still setting Bundesliga records
- Nice coach Patrick Vieira is standing up to player power
- Joint celebration shows growing Ronaldo, Dybala rapport
- Milicic appointed interim coach of Australian women's team
- Saudis say crown prince doesn't intend to buy Man United
- Bayern braced for Klopp reunion at Liverpool
- Suspect in 2010 Cabanas shooting gets 20 years in Mexico
- Mbappe scores superb goal as PSG wins 1-0 at Saint-Etienne
- Madrid stunned by Girona, sees Barcelona increase its lead
LONDON (AP) David Beckham's Major League Soccer team will be called Inter Miami.
The former Manchester United midfielder wants the club to start playing in 2020 but it lacks a stadium after years trying to find a site in Miami.
The club's full name is "Club Internacional de Futbol Miami."
Beckham says it "celebrates the incredible energy of one of the most exciting cities in the world - one that is diverse, passionate and ambitious - a city that has welcomed me and so many others, so warmly."
But it will be up to Miami voters to decide in a referendum later this year whether back plans for a 25,000-seat stadium on city land now occupied by a golf course.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 5, 2018