David Beckham's team named Inter Miami, still lacks stadium
European Football Headlines
- Portugal qualifies for finals, Italy earn positives in draw
- Croatia's Rakitic back at Barcelona with hamstring injury
- Australia scores in stoppage time for draw vs. South Korea
- Salah Egypt's 'superman' again with last-minute winner
- Neymar scores from spot as Brazil beats Uruguay 1-0
- Dutch win over France demotes Germany in UEFA Nations League
- Mancini wants to 'bring Italy back where it belongs'
- Designer of Brazil soccer team kit dies at age 83
- Spain doubted again after consecutive Nations League losses
- Kenya loses appeal to be reinstated in Women's African Cup
LONDON (AP) David Beckham's Major League Soccer team will be called Inter Miami.
The former Manchester United midfielder wants the club to start playing in 2020 but it lacks a stadium after years trying to find a site in Miami.
The club's full name is "Club Internacional de Futbol Miami."
Beckham says it "celebrates the incredible energy of one of the most exciting cities in the world - one that is diverse, passionate and ambitious - a city that has welcomed me and so many others, so warmly."
But it will be up to Miami voters to decide in a referendum later this year whether back plans for a 25,000-seat stadium on city land now occupied by a golf course.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 5, 2018