David Beckham's team named Inter Miami, still lacks stadium
European Football Headlines
- Ben Yedder hits hat trick in Sevilla's 6-2 win at Levante
- Weston McKennie out with 'severe muscle contusion' in leg
- Loew: Germany lacking greed, passion at World Cup in Russia
- Cristian Penilla's late goal helps Revolution tie Fire 2-2
- New York City FC ties Montreal 1-1
- Ibarra's 2 goals help Minnesota United beat Timbers 3-2
- Orlando City snaps back-to-back loses, tie Dynamo 0-0
- Higuain, Zardes help Crew beat Rapids 2-1
- Gressel, Villalba help Atlanta United beat Real Salt Lake
- McDonald's 2 goals lead Courage to 3-0 win over the Thorns
LONDON (AP) David Beckham's Major League Soccer team will be called Inter Miami.
The former Manchester United midfielder wants the club to start playing in 2020 but it lacks a stadium after years trying to find a site in Miami.
The club's full name is "Club Internacional de Futbol Miami."
Beckham says it "celebrates the incredible energy of one of the most exciting cities in the world - one that is diverse, passionate and ambitious - a city that has welcomed me and so many others, so warmly."
But it will be up to Miami voters to decide in a referendum later this year whether back plans for a 25,000-seat stadium on city land now occupied by a golf course.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 5, 2018