Atlanta United loses defender Mikey Ambrose to knee surgery
European Football Headlines
- Messi receives 5th Golden Shoe award for Europe's top scorer
- UEFA investigates alleged offensive chants by Chelsea fans
- Mourinho fired by Man United with his career at crossroads
- The Latest: Pogba posts cryptic message after Mourinho exit
- FIFA bans African soccer official for taking Bin Hammam cash
- Bilbao draws 0-0 at Alaves, remains in Liga drop zone
- Atalanta beats Lazio 1-0 to boost Champions League hopes
- Barcelona's Vermaelen out for 1 month with leg injury
- MLS shortens season by month, goes to all-knockout playoffs
- AP Source: Ibrahimovic to remain with LA Galaxy
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta United has lost another player to a likely season-ending injury.
The MLS team says defender Mikey Ambrose had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee and will miss three to four months. He suffered the injury while playing for the second-division club, Atlanta United 2, on July 25.
Ambrose started eight times in nine appearances for United.
United also is dealing with the loss of Greg Garza (shoulder surgery) and Sal Zizzo (knee surgery), weakening the depth of the team leading the Supporters' Shield standings.
For more AP soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/MLSsoccer
Updated August 7, 2018