Kansas City's Ike Opara voted MLS Defender of the Year
European Football Headlines
- Watford-Crystal Palace Preview
- Chelsea-Huddersfield Town Preview
- Stoke City-Burnley Preview
- PAOK thrashes Panathinaikos 4-0 in Greek league
- Messi, Suarez strike after Villarreal reduced to 10 men
- Record-setting City wins derby for 11-point lead in EPL
- Porto striker Aboubakar gets hat trick in 5-0 win at Setubal
- Napoli draws 0-0 against Fiorentina, fails to go back top
- Sporting KC sends Oliveira, Pasher to Atlanta for Jones, GK
- Already through, Besiktas beats Leipzig in Champions League
NEW YORK (AP) Kansas City's Ike Opara has been voted Major League Soccer Defender of the Year after helping his team win the U.S. Open Cup title.
The 28-year-old American received the most votes in balloting by players, media and club officials announced Thursday.
Toronto's Justin Morrow was second, followed by Vancouver's Kendall Waston and Atlanta's Leandro Gonzalez Pirez.
Kansas City allowed a league-low 29 goals.
Updated November 9, 2017