Kansas City's Ike Opara voted MLS Defender of the Year
European Football Headlines
- Cristian Penilla's late goal helps Revolution tie Fire 2-2
- New York City FC ties Montreal 1-1
- Ibarra's 2 goals help Minnesota United beat Timbers 3-2
- Orlando City snaps back-to-back loses, tie Dynamo 0-0
- Higuain, Zardes help Crew beat Rapids 2-1
- Gressel, Villalba help Atlanta United beat Real Salt Lake
- McDonald's 2 goals lead Courage to 3-0 win over the Thorns
- New York Red Bulls score late, beat Toronto FC 2-0
- Real Madrid leads La Liga thanks to goal on video review
- Gervinho thriving at Parma with stunning goal vs Cagliari
NEW YORK (AP) Kansas City's Ike Opara has been voted Major League Soccer Defender of the Year after helping his team win the U.S. Open Cup title.
The 28-year-old American received the most votes in balloting by players, media and club officials announced Thursday.
Toronto's Justin Morrow was second, followed by Vancouver's Kendall Waston and Atlanta's Leandro Gonzalez Pirez.
Kansas City allowed a league-low 29 goals.
Updated November 9, 2017