Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel named Rookie of the Year
European Football Headlines
- Messi, Argentina beaten 3-0 at World Cup, Croatia advances
- Argentina conquered, Croatia's next task to avoid 'euphoria'
- Neymar to start in unchanged Brazil team to face Costa Rica
- Saudi minister tweets barb at UEFA chief in TV rights row
- Mourinho says Fred is right for Man United
- Salah, Neymar, Messi, messy, messy: World Cup stars stifled
- AP PHOTOS: Messi drought endures on Day 8 of World Cup
- The Latest: Argentina collapses vs. Croatia, could go home
- Who's in and who's out at the World Cup
- France defense excels in 1-0 victory over Peru in Group C
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel has been named Major League Soccer's Rookie of the Year.
Gressel, 23, appeared in 32 matches with 24 starts, and had nine assists, third-most for a rookie in league history. He also had five goals.
Atlanta United, playing its first season in MLS, went 15-9-10 this season and finished fourth in the Eastern Conference. United was the first expansion team to make the playoffs since 1998.
"It's a great honor, not just for me but I think for the whole club," he said. "It's been a tremendous year for me personally and now you add a trophy to it - it's kind of a cool thing."
The eighth overall selection in the MLS SuperDraft, Gressel had 30 goals and 26 assists over four seasons at Providence College.
MLS team technical staffs, members of the media and current MLS players voted for the award.
Updated November 8, 2017