Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel named Rookie of the Year
European Football Headlines
- Madrid beats Leganes 3-1 in game postponed from December
- Shakhtar comes from behind to beat Roma 2-1 in Champs League
- Man United holds Sevilla in CL thanks to De Gea save
- Leicester fined for overspending on Premier League promotion
- As World Cup looms, Willian claims Chelsea spotlight
- Guangzhou stumbles again in Asian Champions League
- FIFA lifts ban on 2026 World Cup voters publicly backing bid
- Messi scores vs Chelsea at 9th attempt to give Barca CL draw
- Bayern cruises to 5-0 win over Besiktas in Champions League
- Sevilla's misfiring attack takes on Man U's stout defense
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel has been named Major League Soccer's Rookie of the Year.
Gressel, 23, appeared in 32 matches with 24 starts, and had nine assists, third-most for a rookie in league history. He also had five goals.
Atlanta United, playing its first season in MLS, went 15-9-10 this season and finished fourth in the Eastern Conference. United was the first expansion team to make the playoffs since 1998.
"It's a great honor, not just for me but I think for the whole club," he said. "It's been a tremendous year for me personally and now you add a trophy to it - it's kind of a cool thing."
The eighth overall selection in the MLS SuperDraft, Gressel had 30 goals and 26 assists over four seasons at Providence College.
MLS team technical staffs, members of the media and current MLS players voted for the award.
Updated November 8, 2017