Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel named Rookie of the Year
European Football Headlines
- Ronaldo nets penalty as Juventus wins derby at Torino 1-0
- Griezmann nets 2, Atletico wins to pull level with Barcelona
- Reims beats Strasbourg 2-1 to move into 8th place in Ligue 1
- 109-year-old Spanish club will pay players to keep going
- Stuttgart captain's father dies in stadium after game
- Dortmund beats Bremen, claims honorary title in Bundesliga
- Man City back on top of EPL; Eriksen saves Spurs
- West Ham make it four wins in a row against Fulham
- Kashima beats Chivas 3-2, will meet Madrid at Club World Cup
- Wolves secure third straight win by beating Bournemouth 2-0
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel has been named Major League Soccer's Rookie of the Year.
Gressel, 23, appeared in 32 matches with 24 starts, and had nine assists, third-most for a rookie in league history. He also had five goals.
Atlanta United, playing its first season in MLS, went 15-9-10 this season and finished fourth in the Eastern Conference. United was the first expansion team to make the playoffs since 1998.
"It's a great honor, not just for me but I think for the whole club," he said. "It's been a tremendous year for me personally and now you add a trophy to it - it's kind of a cool thing."
The eighth overall selection in the MLS SuperDraft, Gressel had 30 goals and 26 assists over four seasons at Providence College.
MLS team technical staffs, members of the media and current MLS players voted for the award.
Updated November 8, 2017