LA Galaxy bolster defense with Dutch right back Van Anholt
European Football Headlines
- Study to look at long-term health risks of playing soccer
- Juventus defense falling apart without the BBC
- Stoke City-Crystal Palace Preview
- West Brom-Tottenham Hotspur Preview
- Spanish federation rehires Hierro as its sports director
- Everton moves closer to leaving Goodison Park
- Brighton & Hove Albion-Manchester United Preview
- Bournemouth-Swansea City Preview
- Chelsea-Liverpool Preview
- Watford-Newcastle United Preview
CARSON, Calif. (AP) The LA Galaxy have acquired Dutch defender Pele Van Anholt.
The Galaxy announced the deal Wednesday to add the 26-year-old right back from Willem II of the Eredivisie.
Van Anholt spent just one season with Willem II, and he was out of contract with the club. He played for SC Heerenveen for six of the previous seven seasons, scoring two goals in 149 appearances.
The Galaxy need help on the right side of their defense after losing Robbie Rogers for the season with a serious left ankle injury. Rogers was placed on the season-ending injury list in May.
Van Anholt will join the Galaxy in training on Thursday. They host Manchester United in a friendly on Saturday night.
Updated July 12, 2017