LA Galaxy bolster defense with Dutch right back Van Anholt
European Football Headlines
- Former FIFA boss Blatter revels in visit to Putin, World Cup
- The Latest: Schone replaces Kvist for Denmark vs Australia
- Messi dogged by Ronaldo, history as Argentina meets Croatia
- St. Petersburg's white nights light up fans' World Cup
- Sweden with chance to take out another big name: Germany
- Caretaker Hierro leaving his mark on Spain at World Cup
- Dele Alli misses training for England at World Cup
- After only 2 matches, Egypt eliminated from World Cup
- Iran staff member hospitalized during Spain game
- Burger King says sorry for Russian World Cup pregnancy ad
CARSON, Calif. (AP) The LA Galaxy have acquired Dutch defender Pele Van Anholt.
The Galaxy announced the deal Wednesday to add the 26-year-old right back from Willem II of the Eredivisie.
Van Anholt spent just one season with Willem II, and he was out of contract with the club. He played for SC Heerenveen for six of the previous seven seasons, scoring two goals in 149 appearances.
The Galaxy need help on the right side of their defense after losing Robbie Rogers for the season with a serious left ankle injury. Rogers was placed on the season-ending injury list in May.
Van Anholt will join the Galaxy in training on Thursday. They host Manchester United in a friendly on Saturday night.
Updated July 12, 2017