LA Galaxy bolster defense with Dutch right back Van Anholt
European Football Headlines
- Martinez, Almiron lead Atlanta past Zlatan's Galaxy, 2-0
- RSL needs late flurry to beat 10-man Rapids 3-0
- Former Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar retires at Flamengo
- FC Dallas remains unbeaten with 2-0 win over Union
- Revolution, Crew split 1st-half goals for 2-2 draw
- Orlando City wins 4th straight, beating Earthquakes 3-2
- Sancho nets 1st Dortmund goal; Hamburg boosts Bundesliga bid
- Katai, Sanchez help Fire to 2-1 win over Red Bulls
- Man United prolongs FA Cup pain for Spurs by reaching final
- Barcelona easily wins historic 4th straight Copa del Rey
CARSON, Calif. (AP) The LA Galaxy have acquired Dutch defender Pele Van Anholt.
The Galaxy announced the deal Wednesday to add the 26-year-old right back from Willem II of the Eredivisie.
Van Anholt spent just one season with Willem II, and he was out of contract with the club. He played for SC Heerenveen for six of the previous seven seasons, scoring two goals in 149 appearances.
The Galaxy need help on the right side of their defense after losing Robbie Rogers for the season with a serious left ankle injury. Rogers was placed on the season-ending injury list in May.
Van Anholt will join the Galaxy in training on Thursday. They host Manchester United in a friendly on Saturday night.
Updated July 12, 2017