Villa, Bradley highlight MLS All-Star picks by fans
European Football Headlines
- Villarreal opens probe into Semedo's reported arrest
- English FA charges West Ham with breach of anti-doping rules
- Pato comes to rescue of Chinese side Tianjin in Asian CL
- Sevilla's misfiring attack takes on Man U's stout defense
- Struggling Wolfsburg hires Bruno Labbadia as coach
- Russian authorities fine hotels for World Cup price-gouging
- Aguero involved in clash with Wigan fan after City's defeat
- Man City's quadruple bid ends in shock FA Cup loss to Wigan
- Immobile ends drought with 2 goals to help Lazio beat Verona
- Frankfurt beats Leipzig as fans vent fury over Monday games
By ANNE M. PETERSON
NYCFC's David Villa, Toronto's Michael Bradley and Chicago's Bastian Schweinsteiger are among the fan selections for next month's Major League Soccer All-Star Game.
Schweinsteiger was on Germany's 2014 World Cup team. He is joined on the MLS squad by Chicago Fire teammate Nemanja Nikolic as first-time All-Stars. The MLS team will face Real Madrid and possibly star Cristiano Ronaldo on Aug. 2 at Chicago's Soldier Field.
Nikolic, who joined the Fire this season, leads MLS with 16 goals through 19 games.
"It's really a fantastic feeling that I will be part of this team and we can represent the league. We will play against the best team in the world with the best player in the world, and I hope everybody will enjoy this," Nikolic said. "We can be proud."
Atlanta United defender Greg Garza and teammate Miguel Almiron are also first-time All-Stars.
Goalkeeper Tim Howard of the Chicago Rapids will anchor a back line that includes fellow U.S. national players DaMarcus Beasley of the Houston Dynamo and Graham Zusi of Sporting Kansas City.
Orlando's Kaka completes the 10 fan selections. The 11th starter is Toronto's Sebastian Giovinco, who was picked in a vote tied to EA Sports' FIFA 17 video game.
The All-Star XI along with MLS team affiliation:
Goalkeeper: Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids).
Defenders: Greg Garza (Atlanta United), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo).
Midfielders: Bastian Schweinsteiger (Chicago Fire), Miguel Almiron (Atlanta United), Kaka (Orlando City SC), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC).
Forwards: David Villa (New York City FC), Nemanja Nikolic (Chicago Fire), Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC).
Updated July 7, 2017