Real Salt Lake fires coach Jeff Cassar
European Football Headlines
- Chelsea defender Alonso gets 3-match ban for violent conduct
- FIFA closes racism case from Under-17 World Cup final
- Futures uncertain at Borussia Dortmund ahead of crunch games
- Oliveira returns to Japan to coach J-League's Urawa Reds
- Sporting KC hosts hobbled Whitecaps
- Argentina says Aguero is recovering after surgery
- Red Bulls put focus on accommodating fans with special needs
- Ronaldo scores with backheel flick, saves Madrid from loss
- Napoli closes the gap to Juventus ahead of title showdown
- Treble-chasing PSG beats Caen 3-1 to reach French Cup final
SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has fired coach Jeff Cassar.
The club announced Monday that director of goalkeeping Daryl Shore will step in as interim head coach.
Real Salt Lake is ninth in the MLS Western Conference with an 0-2-1 record. The team has gone winless in its past 10 matches going back to the 2016 season. Real Salt Lake has scored just one goal in three games this season.
Cassar joined the organization in 2007 as an assistant coach and was promoted in 2014. The team went 38-37-30 during his tenure. The team retained Cassar for the 2017 season after his contract expired following the 2016 season.
General Manager Craig Waibel said in a statement there is a "sense of urgency for progress this season," which is why the move was made now.
Updated March 20, 2017