Real Salt Lake fires coach Jeff Cassar
European Football Headlines
- Building a team: LAFC kicks off with its first practice
- Familiar faces abound as Sounders open preseason camp
- FIFA: Video tech 'definitely' at World Cup, finding sponsor
- Inter Milan signs Rafinha on loan to end of season
- Juventus beats Genoa 1-0 to trail Napoli by 1 point
- Liverpool loses at last-place Swansea 1-0 in big EPL shock
- Malaga ends losing streak with 1-1 draw at Eibar in La Liga
- De Bruyne signs new 5-year deal at Man City
- Hamburg hires Hollerbach as coach in bid for survival
- Arsenal, United complete swap deal for Sanchez, Mkhitaryan
SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has fired coach Jeff Cassar.
The club announced Monday that director of goalkeeping Daryl Shore will step in as interim head coach.
Real Salt Lake is ninth in the MLS Western Conference with an 0-2-1 record. The team has gone winless in its past 10 matches going back to the 2016 season. Real Salt Lake has scored just one goal in three games this season.
Cassar joined the organization in 2007 as an assistant coach and was promoted in 2014. The team went 38-37-30 during his tenure. The team retained Cassar for the 2017 season after his contract expired following the 2016 season.
General Manager Craig Waibel said in a statement there is a "sense of urgency for progress this season," which is why the move was made now.
Updated March 20, 2017