Real Salt Lake fires coach Jeff Cassar
European Football Headlines
- Barcelona sues Neymar for $10M signing bonus
- Surging Timbers hope to avoid trap vs. Rapids
- San Jose, Real Salt Lake battle for playoff position
- Jedinak cut from Australia squad for World Cup qualifiers
- Silva setback: Watford loses in cup to 2nd-tier Bristol City
- Champions League: In-demand Insigne nets as Napoli advances
- Shorthanded Galaxy set to visit Crew
- Texas Derby holds added significance for Dynamo, FC Dallas
- Union face tough opponent in MLS-best Toronto FC
- Shanghai beats Guangzhou in Asian CL quarterfinal first leg
SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has fired coach Jeff Cassar.
The club announced Monday that director of goalkeeping Daryl Shore will step in as interim head coach.
Real Salt Lake is ninth in the MLS Western Conference with an 0-2-1 record. The team has gone winless in its past 10 matches going back to the 2016 season. Real Salt Lake has scored just one goal in three games this season.
Cassar joined the organization in 2007 as an assistant coach and was promoted in 2014. The team went 38-37-30 during his tenure. The team retained Cassar for the 2017 season after his contract expired following the 2016 season.
General Manager Craig Waibel said in a statement there is a "sense of urgency for progress this season," which is why the move was made now.
Updated March 20, 2017