Royer scores twice as Red Bulls beat LAFC 2-1
European Football Headlines
- UEFA investigates alleged offensive chants by Chelsea fans
- Mourinho fired by Man United with his career at crossroads
- The Latest: Pogba posts cryptic message after Mourinho exit
- FIFA bans African soccer official for taking Bin Hammam cash
- Bilbao draws 0-0 at Alaves, remains in Liga drop zone
- Atalanta beats Lazio 1-0 to boost Champions League hopes
- Barcelona's Vermaelen out for 1 month with leg injury
- MLS shortens season by month, goes to all-knockout playoffs
- AP Source: Ibrahimovic to remain with LA Galaxy
- Champions League Draw List
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer scored two goals to help the New York Red Bulls beat Los Angeles FC 2-1 on Sunday night.
New York has won four of its last five.
Royer tapped home a pass from Bradley Wright-Phillips to give the Red Bulls (14-6-2) the lead for good in the 80th minute. Wright-Phillips ran onto a long, arcing pass from Marc Rzatkowski at the top of the box, took a couple dribbles and fed Royer for a first-timer into an open net.
Royer opened the scoring in the 39th. Michael Murillo's shot from the right side was stopped by goalkeeper Tyler Miller, but the rebound rolled to Royer - who had tripped over a defender and fallen - for the finish from point-blank range.
Diego Rossi put away a feed, which slipped between two defenders, from Carlos Vela to make it 1-1 in the 53rd.
LAFC (10-6-6) is winless in its last four games.
Updated August 5, 2018