Josef Martinez sets MLS record for goals in 1st 2 seasons
European Football Headlines
- Real Madrid loses again after its worst scoring drought
- Mourinho melee as United concedes late, draws 2-2 at Chelsea
- Portland-Salt Lake game has postseason implications
- LA Galaxy's Ibrahimovic may play at Minnesota United
- Whitecaps FC-Los Angeles FC Preview
- FC Dallas, Sporting Kansas City vie for top spot in West
- Sounders put lengthy winning streak on the line vs. Dynamo
- Crew aim to claim playoff berth with win at Orlando City
- With eye towards standings, Red Bulls visit Union
- FA looks into claims about Shad Khan team amid Wembley sale
ATLANTA (AP) Josef Martinez scored twice for Atlanta United to set an MLS record with 45 goals in his first two seasons, and Tosaint Ricketts had a stoppage-time goal for Toronto FC in a 2-2 draw Saturday.
Martinez passed Stern John (44, 1998-99) for most goals in his first two seasons. The Venezuelan striker has 26 goals this season, one short of the MLS record. League-leading Atlanta (14-4-6) has 10 games remaining.
Martinez tied it at 1 with a penalty kick in the 53rd minute after drawing the penalty against goalkeeper Alex Bono.
In the 67th, Martinez headed home Hector Villalba's diagonal cross to make it 2-1.
Ricketts punched home Jonathan Osorio's cross in the 91st minute to level it for defending champion Toronto (6-11-5).
Sebastian Giovinco gave Toronto FC a 1-0 lead in the first minute of first-half stoppage time, finishing Auro's cross with a right-footed shot from the center of the box.
Updated August 4, 2018