Martinez scores MLS-leading 14th goal, Atlanta United wins
European Football Headlines
- Messi's good start reinforces Barcelona's status as favorite
- VAR helps PSG but not Marseille; Mbappe shines not Neymar
- Ronaldo's dramatic debut ends with goalkeeper in hospital
- A family affair: Silva service resumes at Man City
- Real Madrid wins Spanish league opener without Ronaldo
- DC United stays hot, beats 10-man Revolution 2-0
- Josef Martinez ties MLS single-season record with 27th goal
- Dzeko scores stunning late goal as Roma beats Torino
- VAR goes into action on Spanish league debut
- After 25 years of waiting, Nimes beats Marseille in Ligue 1
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Josef Martinez scored his MLS-leading 14th goal of the season, Hector Villalba added a goal in the 82nd minute and Atlanta United beat the Columbus Crew 2-0 on Wednesday night.
Atlanta (10-3-3), the Supporters' Shield leader, handed Columbus (7-4-6) its second loss in its last 16 home games. United also snapped the Crew's nine-game unbeaten streak.
Martinez opened the scoring in the 30th minute by heading home Ezequiel Barco's corner kick. Martinez was injured on the play and was replaced at halftime. Martinez has six goals in the last four games.
Villalba, a second-half sub returning from injury, finished off Atlanta's counter attack by rolling a shot under goalkeeper Zack Steffen.
Steffen had a 525-minute shutout streak snapped. The runs was the eighth longest in MLS history.
Updated June 13, 2018