Martinez scores MLS-leading 14th goal, Atlanta United wins
European Football Headlines
- Paqueta proving he's worth the hype as settles at AC Milan
- Ronaldo misses penalty but Juventus beats Chievo 3-0
- Barcelona signs Kevin-Prince Boateng until end of the season
- Eibar defeats Espanyol 3-0 to end winless streak in La Liga
- Asian Cup: Japan tops Saudi Arabia, Australia wins shootout
- US investors take over Spanish 2nd-division club Reus
- Cole reunites with Lampard for Derby promotion push
- Huddersfield hires another coach from Dortmund reserve team
- Ronaldo to plead guilty to tax fraud in Madrid court
- Arsenal's head of recruitment leaves club after 1 year
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Josef Martinez scored his MLS-leading 14th goal of the season, Hector Villalba added a goal in the 82nd minute and Atlanta United beat the Columbus Crew 2-0 on Wednesday night.
Atlanta (10-3-3), the Supporters' Shield leader, handed Columbus (7-4-6) its second loss in its last 16 home games. United also snapped the Crew's nine-game unbeaten streak.
Martinez opened the scoring in the 30th minute by heading home Ezequiel Barco's corner kick. Martinez was injured on the play and was replaced at halftime. Martinez has six goals in the last four games.
Villalba, a second-half sub returning from injury, finished off Atlanta's counter attack by rolling a shot under goalkeeper Zack Steffen.
Steffen had a 525-minute shutout streak snapped. The runs was the eighth longest in MLS history.
Updated June 13, 2018