Martinez scores MLS-leading 14th goal, Atlanta United wins
European Football Headlines
- Spanish league says govt tax hike may scare away top players
- Watford-Wolverhampton Preview
- Burnley-Manchester City Preview
- Manchester United-Chelsea Preview
- Tottenham Hotspur-West Ham United Preview
- 2 Russian soccer internationals charged after brawls
- European soccer weekend: What to watch in the main leagues
- French great Henry set for coaching debut with Monaco
- Uruguayan flies 25 hours to score winning goal in Brazil
- UEFA bans Rubin Kazan for 1 year in financial fair play case
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Josef Martinez scored his MLS-leading 14th goal of the season, Hector Villalba added a goal in the 82nd minute and Atlanta United beat the Columbus Crew 2-0 on Wednesday night.
Atlanta (10-3-3), the Supporters' Shield leader, handed Columbus (7-4-6) its second loss in its last 16 home games. United also snapped the Crew's nine-game unbeaten streak.
Martinez opened the scoring in the 30th minute by heading home Ezequiel Barco's corner kick. Martinez was injured on the play and was replaced at halftime. Martinez has six goals in the last four games.
Villalba, a second-half sub returning from injury, finished off Atlanta's counter attack by rolling a shot under goalkeeper Zack Steffen.
Steffen had a 525-minute shutout streak snapped. The runs was the eighth longest in MLS history.
Updated June 13, 2018