Zardes takes MLS scoring lead, Crew beat Fire 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Fired coach Halilhodzic sues Japanese soccer association
- Spain's golden generation gets 1 last shot at glory
- FIFA Council member Nyantakyi arrested on return to Ghana
- WORLD CUP: Cynicism wins as West Germany beats Austria
- Poorly kept secret: Iniesta joins Japanese club Vissel Kobe
- San Francisco 49ers buy stake in English soccer club Leeds
- Galaxy, Earthquakes meet in Clasico
- Toronto FC faces FC Dallas, looking for second straight win
- Beitashour misses out on second World Cup chance with Iran
- In Salah's Nile delta village, the Egyptian is a super hero
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored twice to take the MLS scoring lead and the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-0 on Saturday night.
Zardes drew a penalty in the 27th minute when Chicago's Kevin Ellis grabbed him from behind by the arm. Federico Higuain opened the scoring a minute later, converting from the spot with a rising shot into the top of the net.
Niko Hansen started a counter in the 50th minute with a takeaway behind midfield and went all the way to about 5 yards from goal to set up Zardes, who finished with a left-footed stab to double the lead.
Zardes added his league-leading eighth goal of the season in the 70th minute. Mike Grella dummied Ricardo Clark's cross to give Zardes space to finish from a yard behind the spot.
Columbus improved to 6-3-3, and Chicago dropped to 3-5-2.
Updated May 12, 2018