Zardes takes MLS scoring lead, Crew beat Fire 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Mbappe scores 2 as PSG wins 3-1 with VAR reprieve
- Kane scores in August as Tottenham beats Fulham 3-1 in EPL
- Lewandowski avoids Bayern embarrassment against amateur team
- Bournemouth wins again after 2nd-half recovery vs West Ham
- Vardy sent off but Leicester beats Wolves 2-0 in EPL
- Richarlison scores again as Everton beats Southampton 2-1
- Ronaldo warms up to huge cheers ahead of Juventus debut
- Finally! Kane ends August hoodoo in Premier League
- Liverpool-Crystal Palace Preview
- Mourinho says Man City 'disrespectful' in documentary
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored twice to take the MLS scoring lead and the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-0 on Saturday night.
Zardes drew a penalty in the 27th minute when Chicago's Kevin Ellis grabbed him from behind by the arm. Federico Higuain opened the scoring a minute later, converting from the spot with a rising shot into the top of the net.
Niko Hansen started a counter in the 50th minute with a takeaway behind midfield and went all the way to about 5 yards from goal to set up Zardes, who finished with a left-footed stab to double the lead.
Zardes added his league-leading eighth goal of the season in the 70th minute. Mike Grella dummied Ricardo Clark's cross to give Zardes space to finish from a yard behind the spot.
Columbus improved to 6-3-3, and Chicago dropped to 3-5-2.
Updated May 12, 2018