Zardes takes MLS scoring lead, Crew beat Fire 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Search resumes to find plane with soccer player Sala aboard
- South Korea, Australia, Japan aiming to improve at Asian Cup
- Korea, Japan, Australia aiming to improve at Asian Cup
- Acosta, Glad, Bono, Miller cut from US roster
- Getafe beats Valencia 1-0 in Copa del Rey quarterfinals
- Pressure increases on Thierry Henry as Monaco loses again
- Cristiano Ronaldo pleads guilty to tax fraud at Madrid court
- Christen Press scores and US women down Spain 1-0
- Tim Howard says this MLS season will be his last
- Argentine soccer player Emiliano Sala aboard missing plane
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored twice to take the MLS scoring lead and the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-0 on Saturday night.
Zardes drew a penalty in the 27th minute when Chicago's Kevin Ellis grabbed him from behind by the arm. Federico Higuain opened the scoring a minute later, converting from the spot with a rising shot into the top of the net.
Niko Hansen started a counter in the 50th minute with a takeaway behind midfield and went all the way to about 5 yards from goal to set up Zardes, who finished with a left-footed stab to double the lead.
Zardes added his league-leading eighth goal of the season in the 70th minute. Mike Grella dummied Ricardo Clark's cross to give Zardes space to finish from a yard behind the spot.
Columbus improved to 6-3-3, and Chicago dropped to 3-5-2.
Updated May 12, 2018