Rossi scores twice, LAFC rout Real Salt Lake 5-1
European Football Headlines
- Portland Timbers down short-handed Columbus Crew 3-2
- 2 Chelsea fans attacked in Greece before Europa League game
- Earthquakes star Chris Wondolowski chases MLS goals record
- Union ends Sounders' win streak on Picault's late goal, 1-0
- Martinez scores 30th goal in stoppage time, Atlanta wins
- Mexico's Tigres beat Toronto FC 3-1 in Campeones Cup
- Man City's flaws, fan apathy highlighted in CL loss to Lyon
- Ellis names roster for World Cup qualifying tournament
- After Nazi salute video spreads, Lyon says it will ban fan
- No Ronaldo? No problem for Madrid, Juventus in Champs League
SANDY, Utah (AP) Diego Rossi scored two goals on Saturday and Los Angeles FC stayed undefeated as a franchise with a 5-1 rout of Real Salt Lake.
LAFC (2-0-0) secured the lead with a quick pair of first-half goals. Rossi evened it at 1-all in the 30th minute, slipping behind defender Demar Phillips, settling Marco Urena's pass and slotting a right-footed shot over Nick Rimando's outstretched leg. Latif Blessing made it 2-1 for LAFC in the 33rd, finishing a three-pass combo in the area with a tap-in.
Benny Feilhaber sent a right-footed shot through Rimando's legs in the 47th minute. Rossi scored on a breakaway in the 81st, his third goal of the season, and Carlos Vela capped the scoring with a right-footed chip from the top of the area five minutes later.
Joao Plata gave RSL (0-1-1) the early lead in the 20th minute with a follow-up volley on his own saved penalty attempt.
Real Salt Lake conceded five goals at home for the first time in franchise history.
Updated March 10, 2018