Rossi scores twice, LAFC rout Real Salt Lake 5-1
European Football Headlines
- The Latest: Rodriguez not in Colombia lineup against Japan
- After some early angst, Belgium flashes World Cup potential
- It's been a journey for Maguire from England fan to player
- France hopes luck won't be needed to get past Peru
- Brazil's jailed former president criticizes World Cup team
- Tick, Tock: Time running out for Messi to deliver World Cup
- Senegal President Sall to support World Cup team in Russia
- Aussies undeterred by opening loss at the World Cup
- Forget stylish attacking moves, this is set-piece World Cup
- New Zealand women footballers rebel against national coach
SANDY, Utah (AP) Diego Rossi scored two goals on Saturday and Los Angeles FC stayed undefeated as a franchise with a 5-1 rout of Real Salt Lake.
LAFC (2-0-0) secured the lead with a quick pair of first-half goals. Rossi evened it at 1-all in the 30th minute, slipping behind defender Demar Phillips, settling Marco Urena's pass and slotting a right-footed shot over Nick Rimando's outstretched leg. Latif Blessing made it 2-1 for LAFC in the 33rd, finishing a three-pass combo in the area with a tap-in.
Benny Feilhaber sent a right-footed shot through Rimando's legs in the 47th minute. Rossi scored on a breakaway in the 81st, his third goal of the season, and Carlos Vela capped the scoring with a right-footed chip from the top of the area five minutes later.
Joao Plata gave RSL (0-1-1) the early lead in the 20th minute with a follow-up volley on his own saved penalty attempt.
Real Salt Lake conceded five goals at home for the first time in franchise history.
Updated March 10, 2018