Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- The Latest: Germany, Mexico, Belgium headline Saturday games
- Mexican players can have beef again at the World Cup
- Kluivert junior leaves Ajax for Roma in $21m transfer
- Xhaka and Shaqiri score for Swiss, make Albanian symbol
- Who's in and who's out at the World Cup
- AP PHOTOS: Brazil leaves it late on Day 9 of World Cup
- Brazilians heave sigh of relief with World Cup win
- Musa scores twice to give Nigeria 2-0 win over Iceland
- Mexico fans try new chant with eye on avoiding more fines
- Messi needs to dig deep to end Argentina's woes at World Cup
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017