Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Gremio beats Pachuca 1-0 to make Club World Cup final
- Seattle goalie Miller leads LAFC list in MLS expansion draft
- After tunnel skirmish, United and City managers on defensive
- Injured Alderweireld out until February for Tottenham
- Independiente and Flamengo meet for South American trophy
- FIFA bans Colombia midfielder Cardona 5 games for gesture
- South Korea edges North Korea 1-0 at East Asian Championship
- Everton-Newcastle United Preview
- Manchester City-Swansea City Preview
- Arsenal-West Ham United Preview
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017