Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Mahrez salvages 1-1 draw for Leicester against West Brom
- Benevento remains alone in Europe without a point
- Calls for exiled player to go to WCup stirs storm in Egypt
- US, Germany cruise into U17 World Cup quarterfinals
- Ronaldo and Kane go head-to-head in Champions League
- For sale: Newcastle owner wants to sell Premier League club
- Weah's hat trick leads US over Paraguay 5-0, to U17 QFs
- US starts looking to 2022 with exhibition at Portugal
- Man City, the juggernaut taking English soccer by storm
- City winger Sterling off social media after abuse
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017