Nikolic scores in 66th to give Fire 1-1 draw with Red Bulls
European Football Headlines
- Fritz Schmid named New Zealand soccer coach
- Napoli out of Europa League; police officer dies in Spain
- Officer dies of cardiac arrest after fan violence in Spain
- Dortmund striker Batshuayi racially abused at game in Italy
- Everton-Watford Preview
- Huddersfield Town-West Brom Preview
- Southampton-Burnley Preview
- West Ham United-Liverpool Preview
- Swansea City-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
- Stoke City-Leicester City Preview
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) Nemanja Nikolic tied it in the 66th minute and the Chicago Fire held on for a 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls on Saturday.
Michael de Leeuw squared Johan Kappelhof's deep ball with a flick pass across the top of the 6-yard box and Nikolic connected with a header down into the middle of the net for the Fire (13-9-6).
Bradley Wright-Phillips volleyed home Sacha Kljestan's header pass in the eighth minute to open the scoring for the Red Bulls (12-10-5). Wright-Phillips has 15h goals this season to join Robbie Keane as the only MLS players with four 15-plus goal seasons.
Kljestan has 48 assists over the last three seasons - only Marco Etcheverry (49) and Pibe Valderrama (53) have more over a three-season span in MLS history.
Updated September 9, 2017