|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Elis, Sanchez lift Dynamo past Quakes, into tie for first
European Football Headlines
- Mane’s Strike Sees Liverpool Edge Palace
- Free-scoring United looks team to beat in Premier League
- Leicester City cruises to 2-0 win over Brighton
- Mane scores as Liverpool beats Palace 1-0 in Premier League
- Pulisic scores as Dortmund wins 3-0 without Dembele
- Manchester United eases past Swansea City 4-0
- Man United thrashes Swansea in 2nd straight 4-0 win
- Kashima beats Shimizu S-Pulse 1-0 to keep lead in J-League
- Valeri scores, Timbers beat the Red Bulls 2-0
- Fire attempt to slow league-leading Toronto FC
HOUSTON (AP) Alberth Elis and Vicente Sanchez each had a goal and an assist, and the Houston Dynamo blanked the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 on Saturday night.
Houston (10-7-7) joined Seattle and Sporting Kansas City at the top of the Western Conference standings by improving to 9-0-3 at home.
Elis got his head on a corner kick by Boniek Garc�a to open the scoring with his seventh goal in the 21st minute. It was the Dynamos' league-leading 17th goal off a set piece.
Elis helped ice the game in the 86th minute with a nifty touch to get around a defender before Sanchez beat his defender and the goalkeeper to the centering pass for his first goal.
Sanchez gathered a loose ball just before it crossed the end line and centered it to Mauro Manotas for his eighth goal in stoppage time.
Tyler Deric had three saves for his fourth shutout.
San Jose (9-10-5) has lost five straight on the road and remains one point up on Vancouver for the final playoff spot.
Updated August 12, 2017