Elis, Sanchez lift Dynamo past Quakes, into tie for first
European Football Headlines
- Burnley-Manchester City Preview
- European soccer weekend: What to watch in the main leagues
- Italy striker Zaza behind Valencia's surprising run in Spain
- Marseille's patchy defense somehow has to stop PSG's attack
- Footballer banned for 5 matches for urinating towards fans
- Napoli aiming to end testing week on a high against Inter
- Swedes mull compensation after Danes cancel WWCup qualifier
- Dortmund's early season elation gone after week to forget
- English FA pursues first case against player for diving
- Northern Ireland manager O'Neill banned for drunk driving
HOUSTON (AP) Alberth Elis and Vicente Sanchez each had a goal and an assist, and the Houston Dynamo blanked the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 on Saturday night.
Houston (10-7-7) joined Seattle and Sporting Kansas City at the top of the Western Conference standings by improving to 9-0-3 at home.
Elis got his head on a corner kick by Boniek Garc�a to open the scoring with his seventh goal in the 21st minute. It was the Dynamos' league-leading 17th goal off a set piece.
Elis helped ice the game in the 86th minute with a nifty touch to get around a defender before Sanchez beat his defender and the goalkeeper to the centering pass for his first goal.
Sanchez gathered a loose ball just before it crossed the end line and centered it to Mauro Manotas for his eighth goal in stoppage time.
Tyler Deric had three saves for his fourth shutout.
San Jose (9-10-5) has lost five straight on the road and remains one point up on Vancouver for the final playoff spot.
Updated August 12, 2017