Meram, Crew rally for 3-1 win over Fire
European Football Headlines
- Fritz Schmid named New Zealand soccer coach
- Napoli out of Europa League; police officer dies in Spain
- Officer dies of cardiac arrest after fan violence in Spain
- Dortmund striker Batshuayi racially abused at game in Italy
- Everton-Watford Preview
- Huddersfield Town-West Brom Preview
- Southampton-Burnley Preview
- West Ham United-Liverpool Preview
- Swansea City-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
- Stoke City-Leicester City Preview
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Justin Meram scored in the 73rd minute to help the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-1 on Saturday night to snap a three-game losing streak.
Meram, with the outside of his right foot, tapped home a cross by Waylon Francis to give Columbus (11-12-2) its first lead. Wil Trapp perfectly placed a long, arcing pass down the left side to Francis, who fed Meram at the top of the 6-yard box for the finish.
Michael de Leeuw gave the Fire a 1-0 lead in the 13th minute, but Kekuta Manneh chipped a loose ball over the sliding Matt Lampson to tie it in the 18th. Ola Kamara capped the scoring in the 88th minute, converting from the spot after drawing a penalty on Lampson, who came well off his line to challenge Kamara on a breakaway.
Chicago (12-6-5) has lost three of its last four after an 11-match unbeaten streak.
Updated August 12, 2017