Tim Melia, Sporting Kansas City play Earthquakes to 0-0 draw
European Football Headlines
- Senegal President Sall to support World Cup team in Russia
- Forget stylish attacking moves, this is set-piece World Cup
- New Zealand women footballers rebel against national coach
- Seismologists clarify Mexico soccer fans didn't cause quake
- Brazil asks for clarification over VAR use in its opener
- Midges annoy players from England and Tunisia in Volgograd
- World Cup telecasts experiencing quality issues Down Under
- Argentina coach plans major changes to team at World Cup
- Late header from Kane gives England 2-1 win over Tunisia
- AP PHOTOS: European teams sweep Day 5 of World Cup
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Tim Melia had his MLS-leading ninth shutout of the season and Sporting Kansas City played the San Jose Earthquakes to a 0-0 draw Saturday night.
Melia didn't face a shot in the first half - as San Jose was outshot 10-0 - and made three saves in the second.
San Jose's David Bingham also had three saves, including a diving stop Jimmy Medranda's shot in the 70th minute, and took sole possession of second with six shutouts this season.
Sporting KC (7-4-6) had a handful of chances, including a free kick by Benny Feilhaber that bounced off the post in the opening minutes, but couldn't capitalize.
San Jose (5-6-5) is winless in its last three matches.
Updated June 17, 2017