Crew cruise to 3-0 win over Chivas USA
European Football Headlines
- Platini wants a Euro sports police force
- UEFA ratify 10-match ban for racism
- Bayern, Dortmund rivalry hits new level
- Chelsea squad ready for Mourinho return
- Goetze out of Champions League final
- Ferdinand signs new one-year United deal
- Man Utd refinance high-interest debt
- Hoffenheim take 3-1 first leg lead
- Barcelona extend Adriano contract
- Pellegrini confirms Malaga departure
CARSON, Calif. (AP) Federico Higuain scored early in the second half as Columbus beat Chivas USA 3-0 on Saturday night in the teams' regular-season opener.
Josh Williams and Dominic Oduro added late goals for the Crew.
Higuain's score came in the 51st minute as he lined up a 25-yard shot that went in off the right post. In the 88th minute, Williams knocked in a ball off a corner kick sent in by Eddie Gaven in the 88th minute to make it 2-0.
In stoppage time, Oduro raced 75 yards after a Chivas coner kick, got around Chivas' Dan Kennedy and easily finished into an empty goal.
Chivas featured nearly an entirely different roster from 2012. Seven players - including five on loan from Chivas Guadalajara - made their MLS debuts, as did coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola.
Referee Chris Penso handed out four yellow cards to Chivas.
Updated March 3, 2013