Crew cruise to 3-0 win over Chivas USA
European Football Headlines
- Platini refuses to talk FIFA issues
- Ajax, Celtic grouped together in Europa
- City's Toure opts out of Ivory qualifier
- De Bruyne watches as Wolfsburg wins
- Robben named Netherlands captain
- Conte: Balotelli must earn Italy spot
- Bakambu, Soldado power Villarreal rally
- Tottenham signs South Korea forward Son
- De Gea, Mata included in Spain squad
- Liverpool's Can named in Germany squad
CARSON, Calif. (AP) Federico Higuain scored early in the second half as Columbus beat Chivas USA 3-0 on Saturday night in the teams' regular-season opener.
Josh Williams and Dominic Oduro added late goals for the Crew.
Higuain's score came in the 51st minute as he lined up a 25-yard shot that went in off the right post. In the 88th minute, Williams knocked in a ball off a corner kick sent in by Eddie Gaven in the 88th minute to make it 2-0.
In stoppage time, Oduro raced 75 yards after a Chivas coner kick, got around Chivas' Dan Kennedy and easily finished into an empty goal.
Chivas featured nearly an entirely different roster from 2012. Seven players - including five on loan from Chivas Guadalajara - made their MLS debuts, as did coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola.
Referee Chris Penso handed out four yellow cards to Chivas.
Updated March 3, 2013